Which CDL endorsement pays the most?

The CDL endorsements list contains a number of driving endorsements that can be added to your CDL. They include:

  • Hazmat (H)
  • Tanker (N)
  • Double/triple trailer (T)
  • Passenger (P)
  • Tanker/Hazmat combination (X)
  • School bus (S)

Each of these CDL endorsements require extra training and testing in order to receive them. However, this extra training opens up higher paying job opportunities.

The CDL endorsements that typically earn the most are:

  • Hazmat: Your CDL license does not allow you to transport liquids, only dry goods. You must obtain the H endorsement to transport liquids. Typically, you’ll transport flammable or combustible liquids and other hazardous materials. This provides access to a number of specialized jobs with a higher pay. Those who have an H endorsement can potentially earn up to $1,000 per week. 
  • Tanker: CDL drivers with a tanker endorsement usually earn around $70,000 per year. Having the N endorsement in addition to the H endorsement significantly increases the number of jobs you’re eligible for. Additionally, many trucking companies require drivers to have both the H and N endorsement. 
  • Trailer: Hauling larger, heavier loads typically requires the double/triple trailer endorsement. This allows you to haul two or three trailers at a time. Transporting heavier loads usually means working more and, as a result, earning more. Those who drive oversized or larger loads can earn between $50,000 to $90,000 per year. 

Although the H, N, and T driving endorsements open a number of job opportunities, obtaining all the CDL endorsements ensures you get any job. Earning each endorsement takes very little time and money, with the exception of the Hazmat endorsement. When employers see that you have every endorsement on the CDL endorsements list, they’re guaranteed to hire you. Plus, each endorsement opens up a variety of job offers that usually pay more. 

Source: http://www.cdl.com